Sit Up & Take Notice
- Bicycle inspiration
- Bike Candy
- Cycle to Work
- Cycling Accessories
- Enjoy the ride
- Joy Rides
- Sites we like…
- Test Ride
- Town and Country Cycling
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- July 2015
- November 2014
- September 2014
- June 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- January 2014
- November 2013
- August 2013
- June 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
Blogs we Like
We’ve got basketfuls of lovely Christmas present ideas for the cyclist or outdoorsy type in your life! Or even just for yourself (sometimes matters have to be taken into ones own hands!)
We also have a new faster shipping service for bike orders! Give us a call on 01223 655222 to find out more!
Look how stylish Pippa Middleton is looking in our gorgeous Sawako Black Croc helmet! Pippa proves how great this helmet can look in summer or winter with its smart matt black finish and subtle mock crocodile skin textural detail.
Now you too can look like a royalty … and be super-safe on your bike to boot!
Watch this space for more new news from Sawako.
Our showroom has been out of action for a brand spanking new refurb these past few weeks, but we are delighted to say that we are OPEN, looking very good indeed and enjoying seeing so many of you for bike test rides, accessory try-outs, cups of coffee and the odd rather nice shortbread biscuit.
We have the full BEG collection on display, bikes in all colours, models and sizes – and the entire BEG accessory oollection for you to prod, poke, try on and try out!
We like to see our customers individually so we can give you plenty of attention and information, get a bike ready for you and tell you where to go in our very scenic village for a jolly nice test ride, so please do give us a call in advance and we can set up an appointment for you. We all live close by so can be quite flexible regarding times of appointment, although if at all possible we like to keep it to office hours and Saturdays!
We’re based in the beautiful riverside village of Hemingford Abbots, 13 miles north of Cambridge and just off the A14. We’ve got miles of lovely cycle routes around us and two award-winning pubs, so come and try the bikes, have a very scenic test ride and finish up with a shandy in our local!
Call us on 01223 655222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org - we look forward to seeing you soon!
Introducing our stunning new collection of accessories: WANDERLUST.
Comprising a carefully put together range of bicycle bells, saddle covers and bike pannier bags in different styles, Wanderlust evokes the essence of cycling with style: ultimate practicality combined with a beautiful aesthetic.
We love the creativity of this print – it almost has a hand-painted feel about it, particularly on the gorgeous matt painted bells. Subtle detailing like reflective strips for added road safety and a smart waterproof fabric make the Wanderlust collection a smart choice in every way!
The only decision left is – where will your Wanderlust take you?
Find Wanderlust here.
We’ve been thinking long and hard about cycling in the colder months here at BEG, and considering ways to make your ride all the more pleasurable, whilst being practical and useful.
Autumn and winter cycling has many charms but a chilly backside on an icy cold saddle or frost-bitten fingers certainly isn’t one of them! Check out are latest snuggly products for the cosiest rides.
Sherpa Fleece Hand Warmers £29.50 Sheepskin style mittens that cover your hand, brake cable and gears, keeping your mitts nice and warm on chilly winter rides!
Never let chilly ears put you off winter cycling again! This has got to be the warmest (yet coolest?!) cosiest cycling helmet ever! Or should that be ‘hatmet’?
Be kind to your behind, with these luxurious, beautifully-made covers that give a really toasty, very soft and comfortable ride. They also work a treat if you are breaking your new Brooks saddle in, and finding it rather hard-going!
… Not gunpowder, treason and plot… but rather to be careful on these dark dark nights whilst you are out cycling.
Be safe. Be seen.
All accessories available at BEG Bicycles.
Ah – how nice! A very BIG thanks to the team at Country Homes and Interiors for such a fabulous article.
We’ve picked out our favourite items from the BEG Collection for your nearest and dearest! From stocking fillers to bicycles, we’ve got sackfulls of fabulous Christmas present ideas.
Crikey. It seems like a while now since we were gaily pedalling along, the sun (on occasion) beating down on us, full of the joys… and whether it was Kentish lanes or Kentish Town, it felt like we owned the road, as we congratulated ourselves on the abundance of benefits we as cyclists had over those poor POOR people shackled to their steering wheels… But then those feelings of gay abandon and the spontanaeity of it all became just a tiny bit less forthcoming as certain, shall we say, ‘challenges’ decided to present themselves in the panniers of our cycling euphoria….
Getting up at the usual time but it feeling like the dead of night, a bunch of car keys glinting at us in an alluring way by the front door, once crisp jewel-coloured leaves creating a carpet of treachery, and those oh-so lung-aching temperatures… Our love affair with two wheels feeling like we may have hit the seven year itch.
Winter cycling indisputably has more ‘challenges’ than the throw-a-leg-over-and-go style of cycling that summer allows. But we’ve got some tips to help you get the most out of your bicycle and your winter rides, be they your daily commute, dashing out to the shops or a Sunday morning joy ride.
1. Your mother always told you, but it’s all in the preparation! Book your beautiful bicycle in at your local bike shop for a full annual check-up. You can get away with it in summer, but winter really is the season for servicing. Your bicycle should ideally have a thorough clean to ensure that all parts are grime-free, some good all-weather lubricant should be added to the chain, cables and parts where metal meets metal and a thorough check-over of all working parts to ensure that bolts, brakes and gears are all adjusted and tightened correctly. They’ll check your hubs for wear and tear, make sure the lights are functioning correctly and that your tyres have sufficient tread, are the right pressure and dont show signs of damage. A veritable luxury winter spa retreat for bicycles!
2. Be seen. We’re big advocates of getting noticed on your bicycle, but it’s never more important than in the darkness and gloom of winter… And we’re talking about safety, not style for once! Beg bicycles already have several clever bits of kit to make sure you are seen… Our bicycles are all fitted with German-made top quality, powerful Busch und Muller Lumotech front and rear Senso halogen dynamos – reliable and powerful halogens that not only feature a sensor so will switch on automatically as soon there is a hint of dusk, but which will remain illuminated, even when at a standstill. And all of our bicycles have Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tyres as standard which have reflective sidewalls for added visibility at night.
3. Now is the time to make sure that you yourself are as visible as possible on snowy days and dark nights and that doesn’t mean letting all your sartorial principles go out the window…. There are some fabulous cycling specific wardrobe staples out there these days including these specialist raincapes from Otto London, stunning hi-viz vests from Vespertine and look out for some exciting new reflective products arriving at BEG in the next few weeks. We love the ingenious reflective pin-on buttons from SpotMe too…
4. Keep warm as toast! Our new super-cosy His ‘n’ Hers Chapka Helmets (£85.00) will banish chilly ears from winter cycling and keep your head – as well as your sartorial reputation perfectly intact! We’ve also got dashing Tweed flat cap helmets and super-elegant ladies hat-mets (both £85.00) in our helmet shop.
5. Even SNOW shouldn’t be a hinderance to a journey on two-wheels. No special gear is require beyond bundling up warm. Simply let a little bit of air out of your tyres for better traction, and adjust your riding position. Relax your arms and wrists and put your weight back in the saddle. Make big turning circles when changing direction and allow plenty of time for gentle braking. Only brake facing dead straight forward to avoid (highly embarrassing) skidding!. And don’t forget enjoy the wonder that is a snow-transformed landscape. So much nicer to be a part of it than stuck behind a windscreen!
6. And whilst we advocate cycling ALMOST 24/7/365, if it really is blowing a snowstorm out there, there is always the bus, hideous as it is! And still better than the car!
Stay warm – and safe – on your wheels!
… because we’re delighted to let you know that if you tiptoe over now to womenswear brand, hush‘s beautiful website and check out their lovely blog, you’ll find that you could soon be owner of one of our very own Betty bicycles. hush shot their new AW14 campaign in Amsterdam so its very befitting that they are giving away one of our very classically Dutch bicycles as well as the ginormous grocers basket that goes with it.
We love hush, and not only because of those long-limbed, tawny haired, tawny eyed and tawny skinned models (oh to be ‘tawny’ in some way!) but because of their super-relaxed, effortlessly chic style that just, well – works. Full of versatile pieces that are as stylish as they are practical, the autumn/winter 14 range includes a wide range of gorgeous knits, feminine and flirty skirts to everday dresses, trousers, plus a brand new outerwear range – all in a rich pallet of colours. Also in the collection are the best cotton pyjamas on the market and a great collection of contemporary basics – tops, tees, tanks and leggings – which are everyday essentials in any women’s wardrobe.